A petition to support the keeping of 377A can be signed here.
We believe all minorities, including the LGBTs, are as entitled as anyone else to basic human rights. But it is quite a different thing altogether to promote any group’s private beliefs – culminated into practices and cultural behaviour, into mainstream society. Fact is, there can never be a total acceptance of all kinds of beliefs and behaviours. Some beliefs clash fundamentally.
Non-acceptance of a group’s practices or behaviour do not necessary mean intolerance or discrimination. Every form of practice and behaviour promoted into mainstream affects the society; hence, in all fairness, must be subjected to objective analysis and scrutiny.
It is from this perspective that informed members of the society view the behaviour of some people within the LGBT community with concern. These activists challenge the constitutionality of 377A on basis of it being a prohibition to their identity and personal liberty. While this informed group agrees with the government’s basic principle of policing 377A – that private spaces are not about to be probed, we disagree with these activists’ views that 377A should be removed such that homosexual practices would naturally be raised and promoted to the public.
Our disagreement is based on the following scientific knowledge, which unfortunately, has not been known by the public by large:
1. The claim, “I am born gay and so I cannot change” has been explored thoroughly, and the conclusion reached by many in the scientific community (including a former Head of Human Genetics in National University of Singapore), is that it is simply not true.
This is because the effects of genes on behaviour are very indirect as genes make proteins, not preferences. The scientific truth is that our genes do not force us into anything.
However, the general public was misled by various media sources which trumpeted specific studies in the 1990s and headlined claims that genetic links deterministic of the homosexual orientation have been found. Yet the researchers of these studies have admitted themselves that nothing deterministic was found in fact. The media did not clarify.
(Source: John, S. H. Tay. Born Gay? Examining the Scientific Evidences for Homosexuality. Singapore, 2010.)
Notwithstanding the public’s lack of scientific literacy in this subject matter, fact clearly states that the homosexual orientation is more environmentally induced than naturally produced. Hence, the legitimacy in allowing and promoting homosexual practices because it is a constitutional biological right is invalid and should be challenged.
2. A research that focused on countries with long history of gay marriage i.e. Denmark and Norway, showed that married gays and lesbians have a shorter lifespan than their conventionally married counterparts – by 24 years!
3. Latest research shows that children raised by homosexual parents experience more problems than children raised by married heterosexual parents.
This study passed the highest standards of audits after a challenge by a gay activist. It is the most objective and comprehensive research (regarding parenting and children) to date.
4. According to a study, rates of homosexual sexual abuse reported by homosexual adults are 7 times higher for homosexual men and 22 times higher for homosexual women, compared to their heterosexual counterparts. This strongly suggests that minors can be sexualised towards homosexuality upon exposure to homosexual stimulus or homosexual abuse.
Statistics like this affirmatively calls for the law to protect our minors from homosexual stimulus or abuse.
5. A majority of homosexuals struggle with mental health and well being issues. For one, sexually transmitted diseases are multiple times more rampant among MSM (men who have sex with men) than among any other groups. Homosexual sex is often associated with dangerous behaviour, which includes the use of illegal and deadly drugs.
(Source: http://news.asiaone.com/News/The+New+Paper/Story/A1Story20091108-178561.html; http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/health-news/drug-use-seven-times-higher-among-gays-8165971.html#)
Already, latest figures from our Ministry of Health revealed that in 2011, the number of homosexual and bisexual men diagnosed with HIV, overtakes that of heterosexual men. This is despite the fact that the heterosexual community is most likely, 50 times or more, larger in numbers than the LGBT community.
Unfortunately, instead of tackling the real problem, some have mistakenly blamed 377A and the stigmatization of AIDs victims to be the cause of high HIV infection rates among MSM. The fact is, even in America, where the issue of stigmatization of LGBT and AIDs victims have been dealt with for years, MSM accounts for an overwhelming majority in the number of new HIV infections; rates of HIV infection among MSM has not decreased but increased.
6. Study in Australia submitted to the Queensland’s Criminal Justice Commission revealed that homosexuals commit between 33% and 50% of all recorded instances of child molestation; homosexual teachers have been involved in 80% of recorded teacher-pupil sexual interactions; homosexuals have accounted for about half of all molestations among those who work with children. (Please note that these stats are specific to Queensland, not Singapore, but they are noteworthy records for study)
(Source: Frater, George. Our Humanist Heritage. USA. 2010. Pp 198.)
7. Most bizarrely, the same arguments used to push for LGBT rights have already been used to push for pedophilia behaviour.
Presented with these understated facts and statistics, we hope members of the public will be more informed to make a choice of whether to keep or to repeal 377A. We hope more will become aware of the intricacies behind this issue, especially with seemingly increased lobbying targeted at unaware and younger members of our society. We believe in our democratic right to speak out and spread this goodwill of sharing scientific knowledge to inform the larger community.
The hard truth is, homosexuality cannot lay claim to its biological purpose, i.e. procreation, the way heterosexuality can. It’s biological origin and hence, rights, is also unproven. In this, heterosexuality has a legitimacy which homosexuality cannot lay claim to, and the law is obliged to distinguish this fundamental difference.
377A serves as an important line of distinction between homosexual sex and heterosexual sex. When the law no longer distinguishes this, the law will have to eventually recognize gay marriage to be of equal to marriage between a man and woman. Then, unproven rights of a group will be pushed at the expense of proven rights of the other group. The rights of our children and our marriage and family institution will be compromised. This then, will become discrimination.
We request the government of Singapore to objectively verify these scientific facts and conduct a comprehensive study into the ill effects of promoting homosexuality in a culture. The citizens of Singapore deserve the right for our authorities at every level to do their best to preserve and safeguard the basic social fabric of society – our children and our families; and to make sound policies, decisions based on science, truths, our well-being, and not on popular or global notions.